An Idea for the Old Town WARSAW UNDER CONSTRUCTION 5
The restoration services of the Second Republic of Poland, shaped by the Society for the Protection of Historical Monuments, considered the restoration of the Old Town as one of its priorities.
The scope of architectural intervention was limited by the amount of financial resources of the young state and the ownership status of Old Town houses, however, the documentary and research work initiated back then became an invaluable source of information for the post-war reconstruction. Quite often, architects were faced with difficult decisions during the restoration and reconstruction of the Old Town. Supervision of architects associated with the Department of Polish Architecture, created at Warsaw Polytechnic in 1923, catered for professionalism of the work.